clifford header and icing

dougson
dougson Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Has anyone who has installed a Clifford header on a twin-H had icing problems with the carburetors? I have heard that the carbs can ice up without manifold heat.

Comments

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    dougson wrote:
    Has anyone who has installed a Clifford header on a twin-H had icing problems with the carburetors? I have heard that the carbs can ice up without manifold heat.

Personally, I have NOT had any icing problems using Clifford headers and Twin H. The base of the carbs are noticeably cold to the touch while it's warming up, and I did notice it takes a few minutes more to warm up a cold engine, but that's about the only differences I've noticed between this and the stock exhaust manifold with single two barrel.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Might be hard to prove it one way or the other, as most of us only use our cars in "fair weather" anymore. I'm pleased to report that I have had no trouble along those lines when driving around in the summer. I have no heater and no windshield wipers, so am understandably leery of inclement weather. I do have a bottle of Rainex, and a Mexican blanket on the seat that I can wrap around myself if need be.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Is the Twin H/Clifford icing problem actually being experienced by someone or is it just being theorised?

Its not hard to imagine that the inlet manifold on a Clifford header car is going to run a little cooler than one that is attached to a stock exhaust manifold.

The degree of extra coolness and how much that extra manifold coolness affects the carbies is hard to determine without formal experiment, but I suspect the answer is not much. Heat transfer from the inlet manifold to the carbs is via the hold down studs, and having those a few degrees cooler, to me, is not going to make much difference in the overall scheme of things.
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    I have the Clifford setup on my 308 , with 350 hollies. In the next week I will be getting the exhust system installed. I live in So Ca. so this winter I will see how coolness affects the carbs.
  • 464Saloon
    464Saloon Senior Contributor
    I have had mine for almost two years now and no problems, but it doesn't get that cold in So Cal. If the chokes are set right you should be alright.
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    I have been daily driving my 53 Hornet with Clifford headers and Twin H for nine years in Northern California where I am glad to have electric wipers and the heater/defroster are used in the winter. When the headers were first installed, the warm up time was unacceptable when I needed to drive to work in the morning--you know, late again. I mean ten minutes to avoid stalling at stop signs regardless of choke settings. Then I fitted Cliffords "carb heat plate kit" and tapped into the headers with fittings in two places (an "in" and an "out") that heated the carb base as stock. This worked fine. No more long warm-up. Ran without the choke heat tubes the whole time. Now it is California, but the car was in the mountains and cold. I did go out on more than one morning and chip ice and frost off the glass and with 12 volt cranking, no problems. So it goes when your Hudson is your transportation.

Ivan
  • i live in Indiana and been running the headers for 3+ years now.

for a year I ran a modified twin-h intake and had bad icing problems. it would not start at all if it was under 40 degrees, except with a lot starting fluid. then it

would take 20+ minutes to warm up to the point where I could drive it. most

days it would take 5 or 6 restarts to get going especially if it was under 20

degrees.

now I have the clifford 4bbl intake and tapped into the heater lines to water

heat it. still is hard to start if it gets below 40 but 1 quick shot of the fluid and

she is off and running fine. about 2 minutes to warm up and drives no problems.

i do not necessary think the headers are my only starting problem because of

the modifications i have made. its got a deep relief cut, clifford head and high

lift-long duration camshaft. with the tune up spot on it starts good but still can

give me fits every now and then.

i would tap into the exhaust for base plate heat.

later,

PaceRacer50
  • Roger Harmon
    Roger Harmon Expert Adviser
    ivanz62 wrote:
    I have been daily driving my 53 Hornet with Clifford headers and Twin H for nine years in Northern California where I am glad to have electric wipers and the heater/defroster are used in the winter. When the headers were first installed, the warm up time was unacceptable when I needed to drive to work in the morning--you know, late again. I mean ten minutes to avoid stalling at stop signs regardless of choke settings. Then I fitted Cliffords "carb heat plate kit" and tapped into the headers with fittings in two places (an "in" and an "out") that heated the carb base as stock. This worked fine. No more long warm-up. Ran without the choke heat tubes the whole time. Now it is California, but the car was in the mountains and cold. I did go out on more than one morning and chip ice and frost off the glass and with 12 volt cranking, no problems. So it goes when your Hudson is your transportation.

Ivan

Ivan,

You're my hero! Do you have any pictures to share? I daily drove a '24 Model T in Virginia Beach all through the 90's (when not deployed). Now I live too far from work to drive my '26. One day I'll have an SWB Brougham like the one for sale in Daytona, and I'll do it again.

R/ Roger.
This discussion has been closed.